My Blog List

Wednesday 21 August 2013

PART 2 THE INVISIBLE ILLNESS (TIME TO TALK)


WHERE I'M AT....

One of the first post in my blog was a small insight into my personal experience of Endogenous Depression. http://bit.ly/1cPhxnq

In which, I said that I was due to return to work after being signed off sick, very shortly.  Well the actually D-Day is now only 5 days away.

 
Although, I feel ready to return, I can feel my anxiety levels raising slightly, at the thought, also my sleep pattern is slightly disturbed after just settling back down.
The reason why!  is apprehension. Because with this type of depression you have negative thoughts, so questions are aways forming in my mind like:
 
How will people act towards me ?
What will they say to me?
Will they be judgemental ?
Will they be empathic ?
Will they want a full explanation for my absent ?
Will they just ignore me ?
 
To many of you, this may seem strange, but in the mind of an Endogenous Depressive, they are quite valid questions.  Yet, to be honest I expect everything will be OK. but it doesn't stop those thoughts coming to the surface.  I am sure that many people who have suffered this illness have had those sort of thoughts prior to returning to work.
 

STIGMA

Unfortunately, there is stigma attached to being diagnosed with Mental Health problems.  My personal thought is that the word "Mental" instils' fear. As the word "Mental" isn't seen as it's actual definition.

 
MENTAL - Of or relating to the mind
Executed or performed by the mind
 
BUT is associated with the urban dictionary definitions:
 
Insane
Sick
Crazy
Psycho
Nonsensical
Looney
Attention seeking
Wacky
Fickle
Moody
the list goes on, all negative descriptive words.
 
I wouldn't personally describe myself as any of the above negative descriptions. (Some might disagree :-) )
 
Yet, I am a person who suffers from an illness called Endogenous Depression, because I have an in-balance of bio-chemicals the neurotransmitters (Endogenous chemicals) in my brain which are low or become low.  This causes me to have a negative style of thoughts about myself, which can result in low self-esteem, low confidence levels, which can be exasperated by genetic, psychological, emotional, environmental and social factors. 
 
 
 
Shhhhhhhhh!!!
 
So, basically I have an illness, it's as straight forward as that !.  Yet, unlike someone who has diabetes, crohn's disease, or even cancer. Chances are that you would be quite happily talk to them, even discuss their illness if they wish, asking question how do they cope,  how does it effect their day to day life and feel at ease in doing so.  But then put yourself in front of a person who you are aware has a mental health problem, the chances are the subject is a NO GO AREA, maybe because of the fear that, if you mention it, it will set them off, tears, or they will throw a wobbly which is associated with this stigma of being diagnoses with this illness.   You couldn't be more wrong!
 

IT'S TIME TO TALK.

Shortly after posting my first post on this subject, a friend drew my attention to a campaign which is attempting to make people more aware and reduce the stigma that goes with mental health problems.  It is called  Time to Change  it was established in 2007 and supported by MIND and RETHINK MENTAL ILLINESS,  they are promoting the strapline "It's time to talk," it is endorsed my many celebrities that have suffered themselves.  I am ashamed I wasn't aware of this campaign till I was told about it,  it is an excellent campaign.  On their Facebook page and website have some very good information and advise.

I am posting the links to both, so you can have a look yourselves,  and I hope you share the information.

 
 
 
 
 

 


I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings on this subject, giving you pause for thought. I sincerely hope you take the opportunity to look at both the website and Facebook page, on this subject.  
 
On a personal note thank you for reading this post.
 
 




 


1 comment:

  1. This a terrific post, I think it must really help other people who suffer too. And 1000 views in your blog's first week is brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete