My Blog List

Monday 19 August 2013

FRIENDS - What kind our yours?


There is a saying that if you can count your true friends on one hand, then you are a lucky person.




There are two people in my life who I would say hand on heart are my true friends. So I am a lucky person.  One, I met after I moved to York, that is Jackie, she started working in the local shop about 10 years ago, I used to see her in there and strike up a conversation with her, every time I went in.  I discovered that she was actually trained as a hairdresser, but had taken up working in the shop, as a part time job because she had a young son.  So I asked her if she would be willing to cut my hair. She agreed. From that moment on a beautiful true friendship developed.  

The other, I met while I was in the Navy.  She doesn't live as close, and so I don't see her often as Jackie.  Though, we speak to each other every week if we can, or visit.

I met Simone while I was based in Faslane, Scotland.  I was in the galley (communal dining room) when I saw this young girl holding her tray looking around and lost, so I invited her to sit down at the same table as me, that was the start of our beautiful friendship, which has lasted over 20 years so far, from which I have become the extremely proud Godmother to her children. I love both these women with all my heart.

I believe there are different circles of friends we have in our lives, see if you agree:




BEST FRIENDS.

I have just introduced you to my best friends, these are the friends that I trust with every aspect of my life.  These are the friends that you would put your life on the line for, you share all your aspirations, dreams and disappointments with, you also have a non-verbal connection with.  You never have to ask if they need help, you instinctively know, so are there by their sides like a shot.  You never judge them, you accept them for exactly who they are, faults and all.  More importantly, they reciprocate, by treating you the same. 

FRIENDS

These are the individuals that you are close to, you share the same sort of things as you do with you best friend, but not as in depth, you hold things back With these friends you don't have the same non verbal communication, but if they asked for help, you would be there for them no questions asked.   They are the friends, who, if you haven't seen them for a while, you will continue exactly where you left off, the last time you saw or talked to each other. As if no time had passed.  Again this is reciprocated by them. 


 MATES/ACQUAINTANCES.

Chances are this will be the biggest circle of "friends" in your life.  These are the individuals that you refer to as friends in conversations, they are the ones that you have a good rapport with, you know the basics about them, but you haven't got the same relationship with, as you have with your best friends or friends.

You usually meet and know them through work/college/university or through social interaction.   These are the individuals that you may call up to go out with, have a laugh with and enjoy their company.  But there is no real intimacy with, where you can share secrets etc.  Although, there is a strong chance that from this type of "friend" (which you can look at, as a baseline), you will end up obtaining your friends and best friends. 




FAIR-WEATHER/FAUX FRIEND.

We have or have had this type of "friend" in our circle of friends.  The one that you and you alone have to constantly work on the friendship, the "friend" that completely drains you,  as they constantly take from you, but you never really give anything back.

You only tend to hear from them when they WANT something, they see you as a provider.  They are all sweetness and light when they contact you, making all the right noises, asking how you are, how things are going, but as soon as you respond, they switch off, till they find the opportunity to bring the conversation round to themselves, where they can talk about themselves to their hearts desire, eventually getting round to what they WANT from you. 

Because, we are who we are, we tolerate these individuals for a time, as we hope that they may come to realise that they can be your friend without the cloak and dagger games; then once they had established that friendship, helping them or providing them with something they want, comes hand in hand. Saying that, they must realise that there does come a point where they will have to give as well as take.   If this time doesn't appear to come, it is time to rid yourself of this supposed "friend", as they will always continue to drain and use you.

 
Our brief acquaintance was such a mistake
Now it seems more like a sentence
Or something you always had to fake
                                                                                

                                                                            (Lyrics from It's time - Elvis Costello)


Friendship is a very important part of all our life, something we should all treasure.









 

3 comments:

  1. Friends are like parachutes. If they aren't there when you need them then you'll never need them again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to use the philosophy that people come into your life for a "a reason, a season or a lifetime" and I treasure every single one of them for being a huge part of my memories of the past and memories to come... you are one of those Janey, treasured!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you like many of the people I befriended in the Navy are amongst my friends because you left an imprint on my heart which will always be there, come rain or shine xx

      Delete